Here at PA Gaming Review, we provide honest reviews that tell you everything you need to know about Pennsylvania’s online sportsbooks. We discuss and review current bonuses and promotions as well as tell you all the big PA-related online gaming news and updates. Let us help you choose the Online Sports Betting App that is right for you!
The first online sportsbooks in Pennsylvania launched in June of 2019. These apps are regulated by the state and are 100% legal and safe. Sports fans may also be excited to learn that you can play casino games and poker online in PA as well.
Types of Online Sports Betting Bonuses Available in Pennsylvania
Every bettor knows about the house edge. However, taking advantage of promotions can push the odds more in your favor. The best Pennsylvania Online Sportsbooks offer the following kinds of lucrative deals:
- Deposit Bonuses: While these promotions are not as common in sports betting as they are at online casinos, you will find some sites that have them. To receive them, you just need to put money into your account. A certain percentage of your deposit will then be added as extra funds. Typically these bonuses are of a 50% or 100% match. Typical limitations include a maximum match amount and wagering requirements, so be sure to read those first.
- Free Bets: You will find that these promos are the most common for sportsbooks and are usually offered as the sign-up bonus. You get one or more wagers on the house, with no financial risk, that you can still potentially win real money on.
- Refer a Friend: Some of the best Pennsylvania Online Sports Betting Bonuses are refer-a-friend deals, where you share the sites you love with people you know and make money in the process. Typically, the site will give you a referral link or a unique code while creating your account, which you can then share with others. Several sites give both you and your friends a special reward when they sign up with your code, too.
- Boosted Payouts: These promos increase how much money you win on a stake. You will find that they apply to moneyline, point spreads, or totals on a specific game.
Some sports betting sites offer protection against losses on your first bet or over the course of your first day on the site. These represent a great way to get familiar with the site and take some additional risks on your initial bet. If you take a long shot and it does not come in, this is not really a problem, as you will get the bet fully refunded.
- Risk-Free Wagers: This version of a free bet lets players get a refund if their first wager loses. You should keep in mind that this deal is not as exciting as other Pennsylvania Online Sports Betting Promotions because you could lose money if both of your stakes are unsuccessful, and if you win your first bet, you reap no benefit.
- Insurance on Parlays: Parlays can have fantastic payouts, but they are also riskier, so having some insurance on them is always in your best interest.
Which Sports You Can Legally Bet on in Pennsylvania
Top Pennsylvania Online Sports Betting sites offer a wide variety of sports to wager on. You can bet on both pro and college events. Options include:
- American Football
- Auto Racing
- Table Tennis
- Horse Races
This list includes both mainstream and niche events. No matter what sport you are interested in, you are likely to find a PA sportsbook that has it.
PA Teams to Wager On
Pennsylvania residents can bet on their favorite in-state teams. Some local options include:
- Philadelphia Flyers (Hockey)
- Pittsburgh Penguins (Hockey)
- Philadelphia Eagles (Football)
- Pittsburgh Steelers (Football)
- Philadelphia Phillies (Baseball)
- Pittsburgh Pirates (Baseball)
- Philadelphia 76ers (Basketball)
Pennsylvania does have some limitations when it comes to what you can wager on. You cannot bet on high school games. Additionally, non-sport events are off the table, such as the Academy Awards and the NFL Draft.
Some events draw more fans than others, such as tournaments with several games to look forward to. Keep an eye out for these exciting betting opportunities:
- Super Bowl
- March Madness
- Kentucky Derby
- Triple Crown
- World Series
- NBA Finals
- Stanley Cup Playoffs
- The Masters
- College Football Playoff
Types of Sports Bets Available in Pennsylvania
Sports bettors in Pennsylvania can make wagers on just about any sport and they can also choose from several different types of sports bets. Popular bet types at PA online sportsbooks include point spread wagers, parlays, moneyline bets, proposition bets, over/under point totals, parlay teasers, and futures bets. In-play betting is also becoming increasingly popular.
Here is a brief overview of some of the bet types available in Pennsylvania:
These stakes depend on the outcome of one match or league winners. Some variations include:
- Point-Spread: You wager on the book’s projected margin of victory or defeat. If one side is expected to win by at least eight points, you can win a bet on them if they do. On the other hand, you can have a successful wager on the other team if they lose by less than that. However, if your team wins, but by a different point value, then you lose.
- Totals: With this type of bet, you place a stake on the combined scores of the teams reaching a specific level. The sportsbook lists a number of runs, touchdowns, and other such measurables. Then, you predict whether the results of the game will be over or under that amount.
- Moneyline: These odds are based on each team’s chance of winning. This is stated as a three-digit number with a plus or minus sign.
Negative indicates they are the favorite and shows how much you need to wager in order to win $100 in profit. Positive shows that the team is the underdog and tells you how much you win in profit on a $100 bet.
You bet on more than one event, and every prediction you make must be accurate for you to win. These wagers are named after how many stakes you make. For example, one with seven predictions is called a seven-bet parlay.
Teasers are a type of parlay. You cannot wager on the moneyline. However, you can manipulate the point spread or total in hopes of improving your odds. Players should keep in mind that this advantage means a lower payout.
Live In-Game Betting
These wagers are made while a match is in progress. Sportsbooks feature odds that automatically update, so you can make bets in the moment, with current information. Live bets include all the regular straight bet options.
However, you can also make special sport-specific wagers. You can predict the results of the next-at-bat player in baseball, which football team will reach a set amount of points first, and more.
Short for proposition bets, these wagers include outcomes not covered by other types. You may place a stake on something like the most yards rushed.
How to Bet on Sports Legally in Pennsylvania
Choosing a legal PA Online Sportsbook is essential to keeping both your personal and banking information safe as well as ensuring you will actually get paid for your winning bets. The internet is filled with horror stories of offshore online sportsbooks cheating their customers and stealing their money.
To avoid such a disaster, make sure the PA online sportsbook you choose is 100% legal, safe, and secure by confirming it is licensed and regulated by the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board (PGCB).
How to Tell if a Sportsbook is Legal and Regulated
Follow these steps to figure out if a betting site is safe:
- Look For the PGCB Seal: Companies pay $10 million for a sportsbook license, so they will want to display it on their site prominently. On legal platforms, you will find the PGCB seal somewhere on the home page, sometimes on the footer of the page. This symbol features a golden shape similar to the bottom of an arrowhead, with “PGCB” in dark blue lettering. Keep in mind that some sportsbooks show the logo without the colors.
- Legal Jurisdiction: Online sportsbooks regulated by the state of Pennsylvania will always inform potential bettors that its services are only available within state borders. Some online sports betting sites operate in multiple states but will have separate websites for each state (sometimes these sites are available from a dropdown menu). If a company does not specifically mention that it is legal in Pennsylvania, it is likely an illegal site.
- Find Recognizable Names: Regulated sportsbooks will be well-known. If you have not heard of the company before, you probably should avoid it. Of course, it is less surprising if you have not heard of a brand new PA sportsbook. However, even in these situations, you should easily find articles about the company obtaining its license and launching.
- Search PA Gaming Review: All of the sportsbooks, casinos, and poker sites that we review on PA Gaming Review are 100% legal and regulated. We help you keep your information safe and ensure you do not make any illegal wagers or put yourself at risk by using a dangerous offshore site. When you consider trying out a new sportsbook, search our website to find out whether or not it is legitimate. If you do not see a review here, do not place wagers on that website.
How to Choose the Best Online Sportsbook in Pennsylvania
PA has a long list of sports betting sites to choose from. You want a safe platform that offers incredible promos and is easy and convenient to use. Picking the best option is critical, and this process is easy once you know what to look for:
- Licensed and Regulated App: Look for the PGCB seal. The legal PA sportsbooks display it prominently on the front page. If you see the symbol, you know that the company follows tax laws, has regular security assessments, and offers secure deposits and withdrawals.
- Lucrative Welcome Bonus: PA sports betting platforms compete with each other by offering deals players cannot resist, which is fantastic news for you. You can take advantage of a promotion that increases your odds and helps you make more money. Before choosing which company to go with, compare their welcome packages.
- Mobile Option: While a desktop site is suitable for making wagers at home, sometimes you may want to bet on the go. Sportsbooks offer mobile-optimized websites, but many also offer apps for both Android and iOS.
- Rewards Program: The best sportsbooks keep sports fans coming back with loyalty programs that unlock excellent prizes. Some even work across the brand’s casino and poker options as well, so you can rack up your points even faster. You will want to find a site that has a program that is easy to use. Make sure you understand precisely how it works and what limitations the site has.
- Promotions: Pick a betting platform that offers several promos. Look for a variety of types. The top sportsbooks will have free bets, friend referrals, parlay insurance, and boosted payouts. You can also take advantage of risk-free wagers and deposit bonuses.
- Convenient Deposits and Withdrawals: You want to choose a site that has fast and secure transactions. A long list of well-known banking methods is typically a good sign for any sports betting app. Make sure one of the options is a payment method you’re comfortable using. The speed of withdrawals and deposits will somewhat depend on the option you choose, but overall they should not take an excessively long time.
Check out our reviews for links you can follow to download these apps or sign up online. We also cover a comprehensive overview of the features you will find and honest information regarding whether you can expect a smooth experience.
How to Start Placing Sports Bets Online in Pennsylvania
For specific details on how to get started betting on the sportsbook you are interested in, check out our review of it. Here are the basics of what you need to do:
- Follow the Registration Link: Once you have decided which sportsbook you want to use, look for their review on our site. Here you will find a link that will take you straight to the sign-up page. Click on the link, then wait for the page to redirect.
- Create an Account: Enter your email address, and then come up with a username and password. Make sure to use something you can remember. However, do not make your password too simple or easy to guess. Try to include at least one capital letter, number, and symbol.
- Verify Your Identity: Every betting site will require identity verification. You will need to provide information like your name, address, date of birth, and the last four digits of your social security number.
Once you submit all these details, the book should approve your verification. If it fails, you will need to correct any mistakes. If all the information you provided is correct, you may need to do a manual verification. This process asks for scanned copies of documents to verify your age and identity, such as a government-issued photo ID.
- Download the App: You will also find links to download the application in the article. Click on the option for your specific device, and the process will automatically begin.
- Make a Deposit: Put money into your account with the sportsbook’s cashier. Most sites will list this option under the account section. If you have any questions on this process, we provide specific details for each platform.
- Register for Bonuses: Each site will have its own registration process. Most of the time, you can find available bonuses under a “promotions” tab.
Below we provide answers to some common questions sports fans have:
When Did Pennsylvania Start Allowing Sports Betting?
PA made sports betting legal in Online Gambling Becomes Law in PennsylvaniaOctober of 2017. However, it took some time for sports betting to officially go live. Casinos began to offer in-person sports wagers in 2018 and the first online sportsbook finally launched in May 2019, when SugarHouse took its first online sports bets. As more sites got up and running, we saw sports betting become increasingly popular and wildly successful in the Keystone State, a trend we do not expect to slow down any time soon.
Can I Play Legally Bet on Sports in Pennsylvania From my Phone?
Yes, you can legally make wagers from your phone. Many sportsbooks offer mobile apps. You can also access many betting websites from your phone’s browser. Note, you will need to have a geolocation service on your phone to verify that you are currently within the state lines when placing your bets.
Can I Bet on College Sports in Pennsylvania?
Yes, you can place stakes on both college and pro sports in PA.
How Old Do You Have to Be to Bet on Sports in Pennsylvania?
While you can bet on the PA lottery at 18, you will have to wait a bit longer to bet on sports. You have to be at least 21 years old to use any sportsbooks.