The Pennsylvania Lottery said winners of its Scratch-Off contests claimed more than $231 million in prize money in January, including one prize that was worth $5 million collected by a player from Bucks County, in suburban Philadelphia.
PA Lottery said two top prizes each worth $3 million were claimed by players from Lackawanna and Philadelphia counties. Players from Blair, Chester, and Montgomery counties won top prizes each worth $1 million.
Prize money claimed from Scratch-Offs in January totaled $231,726,708, according to the Lottery. By comparison, the PA Lottery reported $223,628,540 million was won in Scratch-Offs in December 2021, a 3.6% increase month-over-month.
The retailers that sold the $5 million and $3 million prizes each received a $10,000 bonus from the Lottery for selling the winning tickets. Those that sold the winning tickets worth $1 million were each given a $5,000 bonus.
A Wawa in Bensalem Township, located in Bucks County, sold the winning $5 million ticket, the Lottery said. Meanwhile, a Walmart in the City of Philadelphia and a Fast Lane Mart in Lackawanna County’s Taylor Borough sold the winning tickets worth $3 million.
The tickets worth $1 million were sold at a Landis Supermarket in Schwenksville Borough (Montgomery County), a Landhope Farms in the Borough of Kennett Square (Chester County), and a Rutter’s in Duncansville Borough (Blair County).
PA Lottery said other big prizes claimed in January included:
- 10 prizes each worth $500,000
- Two $300,000 prizes
- 13 prizes each worth $250,000
- Five $100,000 prizes
Many Scratch-Off players won prizes of less than $1,000. Scratch-Off games currently on offer have prizes ranging from a free ticket to $5 million.
Five New Scratch-Off Games Available
According to the Pennsylvania Lottery’s website, there are five new Scratch-Off games on offer, one of which, Wizard of Oz, can also be played online:
- Wizard of Oz — a $10 Scratch-Off game that offers 10 top prizes each worth $500,000. The game’s GLINDA bonus pays $100 instantly, while its WICKED WITCH bonus also offers a $100 instant prize. If an Emerald City symbol is revealed, the player will win all 14 prizes shown on the ticket. The game is also available online and through Fast Play.
- Cash — a $5 Scratch-Off that offers 10 top prizes each worth $250,000.
- Four Leaf Fortuner — another $5 game, but this one offers 10 top prizes of $100,000. When any of the numbers match the Fortune number, the player wins all 12 prizes shown.
- Leprechaun Loot — a $2 Scratch-Off game that offers 10 top prizes of $10,000.
- Shamrock Green – a $1 Scratch-Off where 10 top prizes each worth $2,500 are offered. A revealed Shamrock symbol pays $17 instantly.
The Lottery said that for a limited time (until 11:59 pm, March 24), members of its VIP Players Club can submit non-winning Wizard of Oz Scratch-Offs into a Second Chance drawing, providing an opportunity to win up to $50,000.
VIP Players Club members can also submit non-winning Scratch-Off games with a St. Patrick’s Day theme — which include Four Leaf Fortuner, Leprechaun Loot and Shamrock Green — into a Second Chance drawing for a chance to win up to $17,000. The Second Chance promotion expires at 11:59 pm on March 17, which is St. Patrick’s Day.